So this is the next part for the Fiqh of Women’s Clothing. I find this a bit cliche to talk about, we’re bombarded with stuff like this all the time as Muslimahs…but I figure since it’s the internet, it may give someone the extra push they need or maybe a non Muslim (or Muslim!) would like to know 🙂
This is not why we wear hijab. The reason we wear it is because God said so 🙂 These are just (some) added benefits 😉
- Purity of Heart: “[…] it is better for your hearts and theirs.” (ayah of hijaab) Doesn’t distract guys when talking to you. BBC did a survey where they had clips of news casters. They bought a group of men and had them watch. The men remembered what the men (news reporters) said and couldn’t remember what the woman said; all they could remember was the body of the woman. Food for thought 🙂
- It is a Sign of Chastity: Allah says in Ahzaab: “this is better for them they are recognized and therefore not irritated.” It is a mark of women with higher ethics and morality; you treat them better. Sisters say hijaab draws attention, but it draws positive attention.
- Promotes healthiness in marriage: imagine a society where you grow up never having seen the beauty of another woman, or even beautiful faces. Imagine never having seen a non mahram. In this case, the average lady will be very attractive to you. When the average lady is compared to the world’s top super models, it is very unhealthy. You can’t expect your wife to look like that; those women are not even real. 😛 Divorce rates are so high because our ideal marriages are based on Hollywood, etc.
- Increases modesty: modesty is a branch of imaan. When Allah does not even want us to be naked alone, except in cases of showers, etc, then what about in front of others? When you are modest in your outer garments, then you will be more modest in your interactions, etc. The more humble you look, the more humble you will be.
- Curbs perverted behavior: There is a direct linkage between increase sexuality and an increase nudity. Do you think it’s a coincidence that with increased nudity we have increased homosexuality? For the first time in human history, homosexuality is so mainstream that ministers, priests, etc claim to be homosexuals. Never in history has a man proclaimed to be homosexual and a man of God. Even the people of Lut knew they were filthy and that Lut and his followers were pure. There is too much desensitization to nudity, which leads to homosexuality. (Interesting related article on Muslim Matters).
- Protects the natural beauty of women from being exploited.
- Part of the inner beauty: hijaab brings about their chastity and modesty. It gives them an inner beauty of imaan. Allah describes the hoor al ‘ayn in Jannah as women who have been separated and taken away from the eyes of other men in their tents (inner beauty).
Next up, inshaAllah, the ‘awrah of a woman and the requirements of hijab.